Puppet and Enterprise Modules are delighted to announce a partnership to bring you modules for various enterprise software applications such as those from Oracle and IBM. For those of you that use and manage enterprise software it can be hard to find modules to automate your software stack. With these modules it is now possible to automate your applications using Puppet.
There has been a tremendous improvement in software development with the dawn of the DevOps movement and configuration management tools like Puppet. This has enabled companies to build software faster and better adapt to changing customer demands. However, IT infrastructure must also be capable of supporting agile development practices in order to generate value. Puppet allows companies to make managed, repeatable, and quick changes to their infrastructure and automatically enforce the consistency. For some time Puppet’s support for infrastructure in enterprise software was limited. The goal of Enterprise Modules is to extend the reach of Puppet into all of the enterprise products large companies use in their infrastructure. Using Puppet and the modules from Enterprise Modules allows customers to reap the benefits of Puppet over the full stack of their Enterprise IT.
The support from Enterprise Modules consists of:
- Making sure the modules keep on working with newer versions of Puppet and Puppet Enterprise.
- Making sure the modules support the latest products, like Oracle 19, IBM MQ 9, etc.
- Helping customers solve specific issues and fixing bugs.
At this point in time, we have Puppet modules for Oracle Database, Oracle WebLogic, IBM MQ, and IBM Integration Bus, as outlined below.
There are a series of modules that can be used to install, manage and secure multiple Oracle database products with Puppet. The following modules belong to this family of modules:
- Oracle Installer: This module contains all Puppet classes, defined types and custom types needed to install Oracle RDBMS and Oracle ASM on a system. By using this module you can now define your Oracle software installation in an easy, declarative way, instead of writing complex bash scripts.
- Oracle Configuration: This module provides a number of types that allow you to manage Oracle databases. For example you can manage users, tablespaces and schemas, and much more. The full list of resources that can be managed is available here.
- Oracle CIS Benchmark: This module allows you to secure your databases according to the CIS benchmarks. The module has taken the CIS benchmarks for Oracle 12 and Puppetized them. At this point 124 of the 129 rules are implemented and 5 are not because they rely on settings outside of the database. Because the Puppet agent runs periodically, your database configuration is regularly checked against the CIS benchmark and you can sleep well!
- Oracle VM Setup: This module allows you to manage an Oracle VM setup. For example you can manage VM pools, repositories, VMs and Virtual disks. Using this module you can create a Puppet description of your Oracle VM setup and manage it like a pro.
IBM MQ Series and Integration Bus
There are a series of modules that can be used to install and manage IBM messaging middleware with Puppet. The following modules belong to this family:
- IBM MQ Series Installer: This module allows you to install your IBM MQ software on your systems. It automatically configures your OS, creates required users and groups, unpacks the files and registers the license.
- IBM MQ Series Config: This module allows you to configure and manage almost everything you’d want to manage on an IBM MQ installation, such as channels, managers, listeners, queues and much more.
- IBM Integration Bus (IIB) Installer: This module allows you to install your IBM IIB software on your systems. It automatically configures your OS, creates required users and groups, unpacks the files and registers the license.
- IBM Integration Bus (IIB) Config: This module allows you to configure and manage many resources in an IBM Integration Bus installations, such as brokers (nodes), deployments, instances and more.
Want to get started? Take a look at this blog post.
Weblogic Application Server
These modules help you install and configure Oracle’s Weblogic Application Server.
- Weblogic Application Server Installer: This module allows you to install Oracle WebLogic and other products in the Oracle Fusion Middleware family, such as WebCenter Portal, HTTP Server, and much more.
- Weblogic Application Server Config: This module extends the Puppet language to contain types needed to create and manage the lifecycle of objects within your Oracle Weblogic and Fusion Middleware installation. Instead of writing complex WLST scripts, using this module, you can now define your WebLogic configuration in an easy declarative way. The module allows you to manage resources such as domains, clusters, security policies, messaging bridges and much more.
Want to get started? Take a look at this blog post.
In addition to the above families of modules, Enterprise Modules provide additional modules for managing various types of infrastructure. Those listed below are a sample of what’s available. For more, see [the Forge].
GitHub: This module extends Puppet to allow you to manage your GitHub configuration with Puppet. ZFS Appliance: This module manages Oracle ZFS appliances. LDAP Principal: This module installs LDAP clients and servers and allows resources within the LDAP to be managed.
We hope you find these modules useful. We welcome your feedback and input on these modules. You can reach me (Bert) and the folks at Enterprise Modules.
Want to get started?
We would love to demonstrate how our solutions can help you increase the speed of our application delivery in the Enterprise database world. Contact us for details.
email@example.com or by phone: +31 (0)30-601 6000
Enterprise modules is the leading developer of enterprise-ready puppet modules for Oracle databases and Oracle WebLogic. Our puppet modules help sysadmins and DBAs to automate the installation, configuration, and management of their databases and application server systems. These modules allow them to make managed, consistent, repeatable, and fast changes to their infrastructure and automatically enforce the consistency. We are a proud member of the Conclusion Ecosystem.
Conclusion is thé multidisciplinary service provider in the field of Business Transformation and IT Services. Our tagline? Business Done Differently. Our 1250 specialists and professionals live up to that every day by truly combining our IT knowledge with business and domain know-how. With dedication, creativity and flexibility we take responsibility for the social and mission-critical business processes and systems of our customers and enable organizations to digitally transform their business model. Our primary focus is on the Dutch market and more specifically on the domains Public Transport, Healthcare, Finance, and Industry. Conclusion. Business Done Differently